One of my go-to recipes for a quick and easy healthy meal (and that I know I can use for leftovers) is chicken fajitas or this super easy sweet potato and black bean burrito.
If you’re trying to watch your carb intake there are further options below
Ingredients for sweet potato and black bean burritos
- X4 wholemeal or gluten-free wraps
- X1 tbsp Avocado/ Olive oil
- X4 sweet potatoes
- X1 tin black beans (rinsed and drained)
- X1 onion
- X3 garlic cloves
- X2 tsp cumin
- X2 tsp cinnamon
- X2 tsp paprika
- Cherry/Plum tomatoes
How to make sweet potato and black bean burritos
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan)
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into cubes
- Combine in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper and a slight sprinkle of paprika and cinnamon. Then give it a good mix so you can see the sweet potato is covered evenly.
- Place on a baking tray and pop in the oven for around 40-45 minutes to roast.
- When the sweet potatoes are nearly done start the black bean mix. Pop a tbsp of oil (avocado or olive) into a large pan and saute the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add in the cumin, cinnamon, and paprika and stir, letting it coat the onions.
- After a few minutes add in the black beans and stir.
- Then add in the cooked sweet potato cubes and give it a good mix. After about five minutes it’s good to serve!
How to wrap a burrito
- Start by adding your filling to the wrap
- Fold in the sides on the left and right slightly, then fold in the bottom corners, before folding in the bottom of the wrap
- Then keep rolling up!
Check out my video here:
Depending on if you’re used to a lot of sauce with your food, we love to make a little homemade salsa to go with this.
Just chop up the tomatoes, onion, and coriander into small pieces and mix well in a bowl.
Variations for sweet potato & black bean burritos
This is a great meal to use as leftovers. And for a low-carb option, you can easily have this as a sweet potato and black bean burrito bowl instead of in a wrap.
Also, if you eat meat you can substitute two of the sweet potatoes for 1-2 cooked chicken breasts.