This spiced apple porridge recipe is based on a classic Ayurveda breakfast. I love spiced apples and anything cinnamon, so I wanted to add this to my favourite breakfast. Porridge.
For the spiced apple:
- 1 apple (peeled and sliced or chopped)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 10 whole cloves
You can pour the leftover water (make sure to remove the cloves) into a mug for a spiced apple tea.
For the porridge:
- 1/2 cup of milk (your milk of choice, I prefer oat)
- 1/3 cup of porridge oats
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp cinnamon
How to make spiced apple porridge
- Start by stewing your apple. Put your peeled and chopped apple into a saucepan with a small amount of boiling water, enough to cover the apple pieces. Add in the cinnamon and cloves and let simmer until the apple is soft (about 5-10 mins)
- While the apples are cooking start the porridge. Put the milk into a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Add the oats and turn down to a simmer, stir occasionally.
- When the porridge reaches your ideal consistency, turn off the heat and stir in the cinnamon and the maple syrup.
- Dish up and top with the spiced apple.