If KFC is a favourite of yours, then this homemade southern fried chicken recipe is not only easy but full of flavour and uses ingredients that are affordable and may already have to hand.
Sometimes takeaways can be the hardest thing to give up when you’re trying to eat more healthily, whether it’s because you eat one regularly or just can’t be bothered to cook. If you often struggle to find the motivation to cook, you can find out what my favourite kitchen essentials are to make cooking easier!
- Chicken breasts x2
- Dijon mustard x1 1/2 tbsp
- 50g almond flour
- Paprika x 2 tsp
- Onion powder x2 tsp
- Garlic powder x2 tsp
- Oregano x1 tsp
- Cayenne pepper x 1/2 tsp
- Salt & pepper
How to make southern fried chicken recipe oven cooked
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan)
- If you have chicken with skin on, you can remove it or leave it on. The choice is yours!
- Cover the chicken breasts with the Dijon mustard and then leave to the side
- Combine the almond flour and the herbs and spices (including a little bit of salt & pepper)
- Dip the chicken breasts into the flour and spice mix making sure the chicken is fully covered
- Pop in the oven on a baking tray until the chicken is cooked (normally around 25-30mins)
- Serve with your choice of sides (see below for suggestions)
Additional sides for the best homemade southern fried chicken recipe
There are plenty of great sides that will go with this tasty southern fried chicken recipe, but we love corn on the cob and some fresh salad. However sweet potato wedges also make a great addition!
The great thing with this chicken is that it would also go great in wraps or eaten as a burger for a real healthy fakeaway treat.
It can also be made ahead so it can be chopped up in a salad or a wrap for an easy healthy office lunch.
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below.