As far as cakes go, for me, there’s nothing better than a good chocolate cake. And this chocolate almond cake is a firm favourite in our house.
I like to make this and cut it into individual slice to freeze and then defrost and warm up in the oven to enjoy later. That’s if there’s any left after the first day!
The ground almonds give this cake a soft and moist texture and it’s super quick and easy to make.
- 150ml olive oil
- 50g cacao powder
- 130ml boiling water
- X2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g ground almonds
- ½ tsp bicarb of soda
- 60g coconut sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
How to make:
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees (fan). Grease and line a round baking tin
- Whisk cacao powder, water, and vanilla extract together until smooth
- Add all other ingredients (except the chocolate) to a food processor and combine. (if you don’t have a food processor you can use a hand mix or cake mixer
- Add in the chocolate mixture and blend again
- Once combined pop in the baking tin and bake for around 40-45 minutes
- When a knife comes out clean, leave it to cool in the tin for 5 minutes (run a flat knife around the edges to stop the cake from sticking to the sides)
- Pop it out of the tin and leave it on a cooling rack until completely cooled
- Store in an airtight container
Based on Nigella Lawson’s Chocolate olive oil cake
**Disclosure: Some links in this article may be affiliate links. Any purchases made through this/these link(s) are at no extra cost to you but give joannewilkes.com a small commission. Thank you!